Monday, November 13, 2006

10-Q: Alex...

1. What was the catalyst for you getting involved in BMX?

I was 10 and my mate who I rode bikes with was 13. He told me about these "new" bikes from America that had wheels that were un-buckleable and they only had 5 spokes. I thought it strange. How could less spokes make the wheel stronger?

2. What was your first BMX bike & what is your fondest memory of that bike?

My first BMX was a blue and silver Ultra Burner for my 11 th birthday. It had blue flames up the seat tube, a big fat blue front tire and blue ally "V" bars. The guarantee from the Raleigh dealer was so good that I took the bike back every few weeks for new bars and pedals (cracked bars and collapsed pedals). They even rebuilt the back wheel for me once.

3. What is your favourite type of riding & your favourite trick at the moment?

I guess transition riding but only cos street takes more effort and strength. Tricks don't matter, just being on my bike is good enough. If you cycle to the park, you have already had a good session before you even get there!

4. How many BMX bikes have you owned since you started riding?

1- 1982 - Ultra Burner

2- 1983 - Diamond Back Silver Streak

3- 1984 - 84 Haro Sport (I've just bought one of these, should be here next week)

4- 1990 - Bully Bashguard

5- 1991 - S&M Dirtbike, Black

6- 1993 - S&M Dirtbike, Purple

7- 1994 - S&M Dirtbike, Black

8- 1997 - S&M Dirtbike NG, Black

9- 1997 – S&M 24" challenger

10- 1998 - S&M Dirtbike, OS, Red

11- 1999 - S&M Challenger, Blue

12- 2000 - S&M Kris Bennet, Black

13- 2002 – S&M PBR, Raw

11 (again) - 2003 - S&M Challenger, Blue (same bike rebuilt)

14- 2006 – S&M LAF

5. What do you think of the current state of the BMX industry?

I can't really comment as I am well out of any BMX goings on and not part of the industry at all. I think if you have been around long enough to see a fashions come and go, and then come back, you always look at it differently, whether its tight jeans & 80s rock or its light weight bike parts and bright paint jobs.

6. If money was no object, what bike/frame/part would you go out & buy today?

There is nothing I want / need really. Maybe a ramp park in Oxford (does that count as a bike part?

7. What’s the worst thing you’ve ever wasted your money on relating to BMX?

Probably the 1" S&Ms I have been buying over the last few years. Oh well, at least its not Hutch or VDC I have a passion for!

8. What riders have been a source of inspiration in your riding & why?

Any and all of the riders who kept things going over the 90s and spend many hours travelling across the country (and world) to ride very poor ramps.

9. If you could learn any trick what would that trick be?

Probably a proper lookback or turndown. I'm not bothered about tricks but you'd think I could do those 2 by now!

10. If you had to put on a Haro type 1 number plate on your bike with a message on it what would it say? (ie:- ‘trix R 4 kidz’)

Id recreate the one I made in 1991 (see pic below). At a time when there there was 1 BMXer to every 10 Skaters.





Alex/Table/Somewhere

cheers Alex

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That frame is the only frame I made an point of keeping (it was my first S&M) and its just the same as in the pic, even with the 2hip sticker on the downtube. I am just getting the parts together to rebuild it and Im almost there. Infact, I think the only part I dont have is the wheels but Im working on them. I do have the kore bash guard, Haro knee saver bars, 401 flights and DXs, front nippon & pitbull and a white DBI sprocket pocket. If I could just find that number plate!

5:38 PM  
Blogger subversion said...

Sprocket Pockets ruled! I ran one for years, also tried one of those old KHE alloy ones (remember them?) but it wouldn't run on my Condor frame so I sent it back. I remember I got my dad to machine the Sprocket Pocket down so that it was only a little bigger than the sprocket & looked a lot better for it ;-)
Seem to remember Ibbo had that off me I think? you still got it Dan??

I found a Beartrap II headset still in the box in one of my tool boxes has one cup & bearing & the crown race missing though :-( Price sticker says £11.95, remember buying a few of those over the years ha!

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have bmx s&m L.A.F

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home