Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bar-end Mod...

Having invested in a new set of bars, I thought I would re-do my home-brew bar ends & share it with y'all. I find that a set of plastic bar ends will last about a session or 2 before they have snapped & splintered into a nice sharp edge to cut yourself on! This mod just replaces the existing plastic cap with a custom made alloy one...

I'm using the stock bar ends that come with a new set of Odyssey Gedda II grips here but I have used other brands successfully in the past.

My Dad fabricated the alloy end caps up for me, I've been running this set for about 12 years now & they are still going strong...


1. To start I took the existing bar ends apart, setting aside the screw & wedge pieces

2. Saw off the existing plastic end cap from the body



3. The shoulder on the alloy end cap is 9.5mm diameter, so I drilled the plastic body to fit. You can see all the parts & the drilled out plastic body below



4. All the work done, now just reassemble the parts, the shoulder on the alloy cap is a good tight fit into the plastic body.



5. Ready to go - these should last a good while & it's only a 15 minute job to do ;-)



Sorry for the rather poor quality foto's...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home