Monday, June 26, 2006

Gyro Mod...

Well here goes with another mod (is this the beginnings of some kind of bizarre addiction!?!?)

I had the problem of cables fraying on my Gyro GTX so here's how I cured it...

OK, I removed the gyro from the bike & noticed that the underneath side of the top cable anchor point is already countersunk to seat the cable nipple & stop it popping out. Seeing as I use a custom cable length, I dont use this & just clamp the cable down with the grub-screw & then cut it & file it flush with the bottom side. Of course this causes the cable to fray & rip my fucking jeans...

So, using 3 special 3mm 'slot' drill bit ( a normal drill bit will more than likely shear when you start to drill into the slot) I drilled through from the countersunk side to open out the slot.

Next I got two 3mm 'short' size rivets & removed the 'pin' parts leaving the alloy heads. the hole in the rivet head is perfect for the cable & just slides onto the cable & up into the drilled out hole. The flange part of the head sits snug against the underside of the gyro.

After tightening up the grub-screws, I cut off the excess cables (not before the bars spinning & the excess scratching the top tube - doh!) & filed them flush.
Here's the pics:


I'm pretty happy with how it worked out & have had a couple of sessions on it, so far so good...
Thanks to my Dad for the technical expertise as usual ;-) & finally got my own camera sorted so the pics came out a treat (macro function is the shit!)
laters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home